Bigliolo Castle


 

Built before the XIIth century, this castle gained the Malaspinas' interest because of its strategic position in the war against the bishops of Luni. Acquired by the Malaspinas de Filattiera in the second half of the XIIIth century, it became the property of Francesco Malaspina di Olivola in 1275. When this branch got extinct in 1411, it became part of the fief of Castel d'Aquila until 1466 and became the residence of the Malaspinas de Fosdinovo and eventually, from 1510, of the Malaspinas d'Olivola. Located at the top of a hill, the castle is sheltered by 260-metre-high battlements surrounding this 2500 m˛ fortress.