Calice al Cornoviglio Castle


Copyright© http://www.mariopegollo.it/

 


Since Federico Barbarossa granted the castle to Obizzo Malaspina in 1164, it has been occupied by several branches of the Malaspina marquesses. After the Genoese occupying forces destroyed the medieval building at the beginning of the XVth century, a new edifice was erected by Conrado Malaspina in 1446. At the beginning of the XVIIIth century, King Philip V of Spain, Duke of Milan, tried to take hold of Lunigiane and to subject all the Malaspina marquesses. Azzo Giacinto, marquess of Mulazzo, refused to take an oath of allegiance to the representative of the king of Spain, as he preferred serving the Empire. By way of reprisals, Calice Castle was completely destroyed in 1705 by the franco-Spanish troops before Azzo refurbished the residential aisle.