Cariseto Castle


 

Federico Barbarossa bestowed the investiture of the castle and of the fief of Cariseto on Obizzo Malaspina in 1164.


Lost in 1195, the castle was finally regained by the marquesses Malaspina de Mulazzo in 1251, before going to the branch of the marquesses Godano and Bolano. In 1535, the marquess Moroello Malaspina de Pregola tried to divert the fief, assaulted the castle where he kept prisoner for two months the last marquess of the Godano and Bolano branch, Antonio Malaspina, possessor of the property and without descendants. When he could break free, the latter decided to sell his fief to Gian Luigi Fieschi for 9633 gold ecus.