Castevoli Castle



Erected  by the Estensis around year 1000, Castevoli Castle went over to the Malaspina marquesses in 1195. Dante Alighieri presumably stayed there in 1306, when he went to Lunigiane. Destroyed during the Genoese invasion, the fortress and the tower were rebuilt on the massive quadrangular medieval military structure during the XVth century. It became one of the marquess Malaspina de Villafranca's dwellings and, after 1561, the main residence of the marquesses of Castevoli. This castle overlooks the Bagnone torrent and allowed to control the Francigene way towards Piazencia.