Filattiera Castle



First an estate of the Este House, Filattiera came to the Malaspinas during the XIIth century. After  the division in 1221, Filattiera became the capital of the Malaspinas of Spino Fiorito's large fief, and the castle the residence of its chief, Opizzino. Filattiera remained the property of the marquesses of Malaspina until 1787. Yet the military stronghold  was transformed over the centuries in order to be refurbished as a residential palace.