Malgrate Castle


Copyright© http://www.mariopegollo.it/

 


Recognisable by its very original round tower, the castle overlooks the Bagnone valley. First owned by the Malaspina de Filattiera marquesses (branch of the Spino Fiorito), Malgrate became an independent fief in 1351, after the sharing between Niccolo Malaspina de Filattiera's children. The first marquess of Malgrate, Barnabo, decided to enlarge the building and to erect battlements around the circular tower and the rectangular edifice dating back to the XIIIth century. This castle remained in the Malaspinas' hands until 1610, when it went to the duke of Milan, King Philip III of Spain. This castle is one of the most noteworthy in the Magra Valley.