Malnido di Villafranca


Copyright© http://www.mariopegollo.it/

 


Remains of a castle set up at the far end of the valley have been traced as far back as the end of the XIIIth century. Then known as “the Bad Nest” (it was used to check the traffic and was a tax office for those who took this road), it was later called “Lealville” due to the statutes and the good trade conditions granted by the lords of the place. One of the biggest and busiest of the Malaspina's properties, Villafranca eventually became the main town of an independent fief in 1266. The castle was progressively reorganised as a seigneurial residence for the marquesses of Malaspina, who managed the fief until the end of the XVIIIth century.