Mulazzo Castle


Copyright© http://www.mariopegollo.it/

 


At the centre of a large Malaspinian fief in the XIIIth century, Mulazzo had become, since the 1221-division, the main city of the Spino Secco, which included all the territories located on the right bank of the river Magra, as well as Villafranca on the left bank. The oldest building is Dante's tower, which dates back to the XIIIth century and bears the name of the poet who was presumably put up by the Malaspinas during his stay in Lunigiane. The tower in which the poet probably stayed overlooks the town, and it allowed the control of the valley. Less ancient, the fortified structure dates back to the XIVth-XVth centuries.