Ponzanello Castle


 

The castle holds a strategic position alongside the road between Inner Lunigiane and the coast. At first a property of the bishops of Luni, it was occupied by the emperor Federico II in 1239. It was later owned by the Malaspinas of Fosdinovo, then those of Verrucola and eventually those of Gragnola from the XIVth century. While the castle dates back to the XIIIth century, the tower is even older.