Varzi Castle


Copyright© http://www.mariopegollo.it/

 


Varzi Castle was built at the end of the XIIth century when the marquesses Malaspina d'Oramala decided to leave their main residence in order to get closer to the “Salt way” and hence gain a  better control over the trade in the area. They eventually took the decision to build the new town of Varzi, which became in the course of the centuries one of the liveliest market town along the way from Genoa to Milan. The town was protected by battlements and a 29-metre-high tower which overlooked the surrounding area. Called “the Witches' Tower”, it eventually became a jail for several centuries. In 1460, twenty-five women convicted for witchcraft were imprisoned there and eventually burnt on the town square. The coat of arms of the Malaspina family can still be seen above the main gate of the castle.