Virgoletta Castle



The origin of this castle located in the Bagnone valley dates back to the XIIth century, when a tower with square foundations was built. It became a possession of the Malaspinas' during the XIIIth century. At the beginning of the XVIth century, after the Genoese invasion, Federico III undertook the refurbishing works and the building of the residential palace. His coat of arms can be seen on the front wall of the castle, together with some writings about these works. This same marquess also added the crawling lion on the coat of arms of the marquesses of Virgoletta. The castle was occupied by troops several times, by the Florentines in 1533 or else by the Spanish army in 1733. Virgoletta Castle is amongst the most magnificent ones all around Lunigiane.